I am more of a moral of the story kind of person who never remembers the whole saga or the details as my mind only absorbs the gist. So I thought it might be worthwhile taking a look at Arsenal and football over the last ten years in an abstract sense. This piece attempts to identify the various changes we have seen over the last ten years while also noting the foundations that have remained solid. Most of these points are quite complex and deserve a post of their own but now is not the time.
- Arsenal have developed a youth model. (It will turn out to be another pioneering approach by Wenger that many will attempt to replicate)
- Arsenal have moved to the Emirates. (Thousands more get the privilege of experiencing something magical)
- Shareholding has changed significantly (I have no idea what the future holds)
- The supporter base has increased and spread far and wide (The true impact of this will be seen in the coming decade)
- Rules of the game have been changed with millions being pumped into the game. (Someone is going to press the undo button on this pretty soon)
- Money is increasingly inversely proportional to patience (Will change as the money dries up)
- Football experts are just a click away. (Unfortunately, Wenger hasn’t discovered the internet or he wouldn’t have to work so hard)
- Arsenal play the beautiful game (some teams have made the game as ugly as other mad pursuits of short term glory)
- Arsenal compete at the highest echelons of European football (many across Europe have fallen)
- Arsenal continue to remain patient ( If the world quota is a constant it could explain why some others, including many Arsenal supporters, are having so many problems)
- The business model remains solid as ever (Will hold us in good stead as the money dries out)
- Media men continue to find new ways of attacking Wenger and his work.
- Wenger remains true to his principles (Since he hasn’t discovered the internet)
- And after all these years, Arsene Still Knows! (Ignorance is bliss for Le Boss)
With that thought I enter the New Year full of hope and happiness. Let me know if I missed out on anything.
Finally and most importantly, here’s wishing everyone in the Arsenal family a healthy (injury free) and prosperous (Silverwareful!) New Year.